ABE Biotechnology spring PDI.
This workshop is open for middle schools and high school science teachers. Participants will learn basic concepts about Biotechnology and the entire curriculum of the ABE program. They will also acquire hands-on experience on all the basic techniques in biotechnolgy that students will learn from the ABE curriculum: measurement at micro-scales using the micropipette, separation of molecules using electrophoresis, restriction digestion of DNA, DNA cloning, Protein purification, and Polymerase Chain Reaction. An invited master teacher will demonstrate how to incorporate Project Based Learning (PBL) to the ABE curriculum. Lunch will be provided.
- Laboratories 1.1 and 1.2: Micropipetting and Gel Electrophoresis
- Laboratory 2A: Preparing to Verify the rfp Gene: Digesting the pARA-R Plasmid
- Laboratory 4A: Verification of the Recombinant Plasmid Using Gel Electrophoresis
- Laboratory 5A: Transforming Bacteria with the pARA-R Plasmid
- Laboratory 6: Purifying the Fluorescent Protein