ABE in person PDI
This workshop is open for middle schools and high school science teachers. Participants will learn basic concepts about Biotechnology and the ABE program curriculum. They will also acquire hands-on experience on all the basic techniques in biotechnolgy: measurement at micro-scales using the micropipette, separation of molecules using electrophoresis, restriction digestion of DNA, DNA cloning, Protein purification. An invited master teacher will demonstrate how to incorporate Project Based Learning (PBL) to the ABE curriculum. Lunch will be provided.
- Laboratories 1.1 and 1.2: Micropipetting and Gel Electrophoresis
- Laboratory 2: Preparing to Clone the rfp Gene: Digesting the pKAN-R and pARA
- Laboratory 3: Building the pARA-R Plasmid
- Laboratory 4: Verification of Restriction and Ligation Using Gel Electrophoresis
- Laboratory 5: Transforming Bacteria with the Ligation Products
- Laboratory 6: Purifying the Fluorescent Protein