POSTPONED !!! ABE-LA Fall 2020 Hybrid PDI Series
Dear LA Area Teachers,
We are excited to announce that we are offering hands-on experience workshops this semester. By successfully completing this workshop, you will receive a certification of completion and will become eligible for receiving loaned equipment and supplies from the ABE-LA team.
Please be advised that the registration might be closed earlier if we reach the maximum capacity. So, your prompt response is needed.
This workshop’s format will be hybrid:
- An online course on LabXchange
- A 2-day weekend in person hands on training session with strict safety regulations in regards of Covid-19 pandemic.
The online course on the LabXchange platform will cover all the scientific background information needed for a teacher to know for implementing the ABE labs. Please note:
- This course will take 2-3 hours/week to complete for a 4-week period. You may work on the online material at your own pace but it must be completed at least 3 days prior to your assigned in person training session.
- Your work progress on LabXchange will be monitored so if your course is not completed by 3 days before the in-person training session, you will lose your spot for that session and you have to wait for new openings in the Spring semester.
- If you have any questions when you are working on the online training course, you can post your questions on the discussion forum on LabXchange and we will answer them within a 24-hour time frame. This forum will make it possible for you to have access to other teachers’ questions and their answers.
- There will also be multiple Q&A sessions via Zoom presented by the ABE-LA team in which you can discuss more about the online materials on the following dates:
- Nov 6th (4-5 pm)
- Nov 13th (4-5 pm)
- Nov 20th (4-5 pm)
You will receive the class code for LabXchange and Zoom meeting information once your registration is finalized.
The 2-day weekend training session will be held at our downtown Los Angeles Office located at 1933 S. Broadway, Suite 1108, Los Angeles, CA 90007.
This workshop will teach you how to work with equipment and run the experiments in the lab.
You only need to attend one weekend. The dates are as below:
1. Nov 21st - 22nd
2. Dec 5th - 6th
3. Dec 12th - 13th
4. Jan 9th - 10th
As we are only offering 4 in person training sessions, we have the maximum capacity of 4 teachers per session. So, here is the process of registering and participating in this hybrid workshop:
- Once you register for the workshop, you will receive the information (within a few days) on how to sign up for the online class on LabXchange and join the Zoom sessions via a specific link.
- If we receive more registrants than our capacity, you might be put on the waitlist to attend one of these in person sessions. If the waitlist stays as it is, we will provide alternative dates in January for those participants.
- Laboratories 1.1 and 1.2: Micropipetting and Gel Electrophoresis
- Laboratory 2A: Preparing to Verify the rfp Gene: Digesting the pARA-R Plasmid
- Laboratory 4A: Verification of the Recombinant Plasmid Using Gel Electrophoresis
- Laboratory 5A: Transforming Bacteria with the pARA-R Plasmid