Amgen Inc., Amgen USA Inc., the Amgen Foundation, Inc. and the Amgen Biotech Experience (ABE) program (collectively "Amgen," "We" or "Our") are committed to respecting your privacy. This Online Privacy Statement ("Statement") is designed to answer your important questions about privacy.
As a user, you'll want to know how we use the information you provide if you register with us as a site user or when you participate in activities on our site, and how we protect this information from unauthorized use or disclosure.
We urge all users of this site to read this Privacy Statement to learn more about the policies and practices that we have developed to safeguard personal information, and to better understand our relationships with the third parties who may have access to this information.
CONSENT TO PROCESSING IN THE UNITED STATES AND ELSEWHERE. This site is owned and operated by the Amgen Foundation in the United States and supported by Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) worldwide. If you are visiting this site from a country other than the United States, your communication with us will necessarily result in the transfer of information across international boundaries. The level of legal protection for personal information is not the same in all countries; however, we will take the security measures described in this Privacy Statement in an effort to keep your information secure. By using this site, you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your information in the United States and in any country to which we may transfer your information in the course of our business operations. Amgen will take appropriate technical and organizational measures, both at the time of the design of the processing system and at the time of the processing itself, in order to maintain security and prevent unauthorized processing.
- Information We Collect
- Information That You Voluntarily Provide
Correspondence with Amgen and EDC
- Information That Is Routinely Collected By Our Site Technology
Cookies and Other Technologies
- How We Use Your Information
- Personally Identifying Information
- IP Address
- Law Enforcement
- Our Relationship to Third Parties
- Cookies and Web beacons
- Vendors and Suppliers
- Co-branded Sites
Other Important Information About Our Relationship With Third Parties
- Links to Other Sites
- Our Children's Policy
- Your Privacy Choices
- Accept Cookies
- Deletion Practices
- Communicate with Amgen Foundation and EDC by Email
- Changes in Our Privacy Statement
I. Information We Collect
We have access to the following categories of information regarding you and your visit to our website. Only some of these categories of information identify you directly, but each category offers some information about your interests and activities that could be used to make inferences about you. The next section of this Statement describes how Amgen and EDC use the information we collect.
- Information That You Voluntarily Provide
Site Registration.We have constructed this website so that you may visit the site and review information about the services we offer without revealing your identity or volunteering any personally identifying information. If you register to use the website's features and services, we will collect "personally identifying information" from you. Personally identifying information includes information such as name, organization/school, address, telephone number, and email address.
Interactive Services. If you choose to participate in our interactive services such as questionnaires, forums, and surveys, you may disclose personal facts that could be used to identify you or your family members. We do not request or require you to disclose personally identifying information in these forums, but apart from warning you to be prudent in your statements, we do not have the ability to keep you from disclosing private facts.
Correspondence with Amgen and EDC. You may use our site to ask questions related to the ABE program. If you communicate with or request information from Amgen or EDC personnel, they will have your email address as well as whatever personal facts you choose to include in your email.
- Information That May Be Routinely Collected By Our Site Technology:
IP Address.We record the Internet Protocol ("IP ") address of your computer when you visit our site. Without more, the IP address does not identify you personally, but it is what allows us to maintain communications with your computer as you move about our site.
Cookies and Other Technologies. We also collect information about your use of our site through technology such as cookies and web beacons. A "web beacon" is a piece of code on our site that enables us to monitor things like user activity and site traffic. A "cookie" is a unique numeric code that we transfer to your computer so that we can keep track of your interests and preferences and recognize you as a return visitor to our site. Cookie technology allows us to collect "clickstream" data, which is not personally identifying information, but which reflects your activities on the site. A cookie does not collect or keep your name or other personal identifying information, but when you revisit our site, the cookie allows us to bring you the content and features likely to be of greatest interest to you based on your previous activities on our site.
Third-Party Advertising. We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads on our websites. These companies may use information (not including your name, address email, address, or telephone number) obtained from cookies and web beacons about your visits to this site and other websites in order to measure advertising effectiveness and to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
II. How We May Use Your Information
We use the information about your use of the content and activities on our site to monitor user traffic patterns and try to analyze what our users prefer so that we can design better services. The personally identifying information that you provide may be used to create information and services tailored to your interests and preferences.
- Personally Identifying Information. You do not have to register to use most of the general program information available on this site.
- IP Address. In addition to using the IP address of your computer to maintain communications with your computer as you move about our site, we also may use your IP address to personalize content provided on the website. We retain IP addresses, and we retain them together with personally identifying information.
- Law Enforcement. In certain limited circumstances, Amgen may be called upon to release your personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law, or regulation. We plan to cooperate in responding to such requests. We also reserve the right to cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting users who violate our rules or engage in behavior that is illegal or harmful to others or their property.
III. Our Relationship to Third Parties
We may use third parties to provide services and information on our site. We also may use third parties to analyze data collected on our site. We will not disclose your personally identifying information to anyone other than Amgen employees and those third parties with whom we have a business relationship. If we allow a third party contractor to have access to your personally identifying information, we will not authorize them to take it or use it for any purpose that is not consistent with this Statement.
We pledge that we will not sell or disclose any personally identifying information you provide on our site to an unrelated third party without your express permission, except as explained in this Statement.
- Vendors and Suppliers. We have relationships with different vendors and suppliers who help us design and maintain our systems and our computer security, respond to email and customer inquiries, and analyze our data. We will not authorize our vendors and suppliers to use your personally identifiable information for any purpose not related to Amgen's business operation.
Other Important Information About Our Relationship With Third Parties
- Advertisers. We do not permit advertisers to display their advertisements at our site.
- Disclosure to Subsequent Owner or Operator. If all or part of Amgen is sold or merged into another entity, the information we have about you may be transferred to a third party as part of that transaction. We will try to assure that no personally identifiable information that is transferred will be used or shared in a manner inconsistent with this Statement without your consent. However, in the event of a sale or merger, your continued use of this site signifies your agreement to be bound by the privacy statement and other applicable terms of the subsequent owner or operator.
IV. Our Children's Policy
Our website content and services are intended for users over the age of 13. Our sites are not designed to attract child users. If we learn that an under-13 user has volunteered personal information on our site, we will delete such information from our active databases in accordance with our deletion policy, which is described in the section below on Your Privacy Choices.
V. Your Privacy Choices
We may offer interactive tools or services on this website. If we do so, you will be asked to affirmatively choose ("opt-in") to provide the requested information. You may always choose not to provide the requested information.
- Accept Cookies. Your browser software can be set to reject all cookies, but if you reject our cookies, certain of the functions and conveniences of our site may not work properly. Cookies and similar technologies are how we ensure that we can promptly retrieve and deliver the information to you when you use our site.
- Deletion Practices. The information that you provide Amgen is stored in servers that are operated and maintained by Amgen and third parties under contract with Amgen. Website users should be aware that it is not technologically possible to remove from our servers each and every record of the information you have provided to Amgen. The need to back-up our systems to protect information from inadvertent loss means that a copy of information about you may exist in a non-erasable form that will be difficult or impossible for us to locate. Nevertheless, we promise that upon receiving your request, Amgen will delete all personal information stored in the databases Amgen actively uses for research and daily business activities, or stored in other readily searchable media. In addition, we will use commercially reasonable efforts not to disclose any personal information stored in a non-erasable format after receiving your request for removal, except as required by law.
- Communicate with EDC by Email. At our website, users may communicate with our staff to learn more about our programs and services. Please be aware of the limits on the confidentiality of these email communications. We will not disclose personally identifiable information that we receive in email, but all email transmissions are vulnerable to unauthorized interception. In addition, we remind you that email sent or received through an employer's computer or computer system is not confidential and may be the legal property of the employer.
VI. Changes in Our Privacy Statement
We will only use personal information in the manner described in the Privacy Statement in effect when the information was collected from you. However, we reserve the right to change the terms of this Privacy Statement at any time by posting revisions to our site. If at any point, we decide to use personally identifiable information in a manner different from that stated at the time it was collected, you will be given a choice to allow or disallow any additional uses or disclosures of your personally identifiable information.
Effective Date: October 16, 2013